I was watching my kids play today and thought, 'Wow, they're getting so big,' I remember back when I was waiting on Joseph to get here and I was super-nervous about what being a mom would be like. That was eight years ago. My life has changed so much in the last eight years.... And, how did I not realize until today that it had been that long? I mean I know he's seven and a half, but somehow it just didn't click until today.
At seven and a half, Joseph is in the second grade. He has his own ipod, his own cell phone, and his own laptop already. He knows how to text and he can surf the web like a pro. Joseph likes girls already and has for awhile, but he's big enough that he's already worrying about what to get them for their birthdays. In school, they're big enough that they're doing Science and Social Studies and School Projects. What happened to my baby that played in the pots and pans? The one who thought that 'The Backyardigans' was the best thing on tv? Now it's 'ICarly' and 'Wizards of Waverly Place' and WWE wrestling. I remember trying to teach him to peddle a bike, and now he rides all around the block with no problem. How did this happen? And, how did I miss it?
Moving on, when Joseph was three, Caleb was born. He's now four and in pre-school. He's already riding a bike with training wheels, and learning so much. He told me tonight which shapes have four sides, which one has three, and which ones have none. He can count to ten, spell his name, and knows all of his colors. He also speaks very articulately. He gets up in the mornings, picks out his clothes, and gets himself dressed. This is my baby boy who not long ago was learning to walk without falling and learning to talk. Being his mother's child, the talking was mastered quickly. And , the kid who would try to flush anything he could find down the toilet? Now, he's trying to tell his sister how to go. Again, how did he get so big so fast?
Lastly, but most certainly not least, when Caleb was seventeen months old, here came Ms. Ruthie. She's only two and a half, but she too is growing up so fast. She is already getting herself dressed, and learning her numbers and her colors. And, she speaks very well for her age. She is very independent, and it makes me sad when I realize she's the baby and already so big. She's gone from having to have headbands or min-clips to make her look girlie to wearing ponytail holders like mine with sunglasses on her head. She says she's a diva-lette. Whoop. Whoop.
I realize that we get so busy in our everyday lives that we forget to slow down and just enjoy our children at the ages that they are, but I think I am more guilty of this than most. I lots of times get so caught up in whatever I'm doing and what I want, that I forget that they do grow so fast and won't stay small til I remember to pay attention again. So, I decided today, I am going to take out at least one hour a day to just enjoy my children for who they are. Do y'all get caught up like that? Where you're so busy with life that you look and you're shocked by how big your kids are? Is it just me? Any suggestions on ways to remember to slow down every once in a while? Please feel free to comment. Thanks. :)
At seven and a half, Joseph is in the second grade. He has his own ipod, his own cell phone, and his own laptop already. He knows how to text and he can surf the web like a pro. Joseph likes girls already and has for awhile, but he's big enough that he's already worrying about what to get them for their birthdays. In school, they're big enough that they're doing Science and Social Studies and School Projects. What happened to my baby that played in the pots and pans? The one who thought that 'The Backyardigans' was the best thing on tv? Now it's 'ICarly' and 'Wizards of Waverly Place' and WWE wrestling. I remember trying to teach him to peddle a bike, and now he rides all around the block with no problem. How did this happen? And, how did I miss it?
Moving on, when Joseph was three, Caleb was born. He's now four and in pre-school. He's already riding a bike with training wheels, and learning so much. He told me tonight which shapes have four sides, which one has three, and which ones have none. He can count to ten, spell his name, and knows all of his colors. He also speaks very articulately. He gets up in the mornings, picks out his clothes, and gets himself dressed. This is my baby boy who not long ago was learning to walk without falling and learning to talk. Being his mother's child, the talking was mastered quickly. And , the kid who would try to flush anything he could find down the toilet? Now, he's trying to tell his sister how to go. Again, how did he get so big so fast?
Lastly, but most certainly not least, when Caleb was seventeen months old, here came Ms. Ruthie. She's only two and a half, but she too is growing up so fast. She is already getting herself dressed, and learning her numbers and her colors. And, she speaks very well for her age. She is very independent, and it makes me sad when I realize she's the baby and already so big. She's gone from having to have headbands or min-clips to make her look girlie to wearing ponytail holders like mine with sunglasses on her head. She says she's a diva-lette. Whoop. Whoop.
I realize that we get so busy in our everyday lives that we forget to slow down and just enjoy our children at the ages that they are, but I think I am more guilty of this than most. I lots of times get so caught up in whatever I'm doing and what I want, that I forget that they do grow so fast and won't stay small til I remember to pay attention again. So, I decided today, I am going to take out at least one hour a day to just enjoy my children for who they are. Do y'all get caught up like that? Where you're so busy with life that you look and you're shocked by how big your kids are? Is it just me? Any suggestions on ways to remember to slow down every once in a while? Please feel free to comment. Thanks. :)
I remember when you were pregnant with Joseph, you were asking people if they could give you just one piece of advice about parenting what would it be. Do you remember mine? I said, always make sure you spend every moment with them you can, cause before you know it, they're grown and you missed it. I regret every single, "I'm busy right now", "not now, go play and we'll do it later" WHAT DO YOU WANT?" I would love to have all those "momma, momma, momma" moments back so I could appreciate them more now that I know what's really important in life.
ReplyDelete